This Saturday I went for a toastmasters work shop on humorous speaking held by CK (Chendil Kumar) and it was quite interesting….some tips that I picked up from that session…I believe writing helps to remember things better…..so here is what I picked up….
I find humorous speeches very difficult…and I always though that it is a skill I cannot learn…..but CK who took the session…..though otherwise….so now I am going to try to be funny while giving a speech!
Someone said “We learn best during moments of enjoyment”..and I think it is sooo true…. Humor is the best way to connect with the audience… A principle of persuasion: “story telling with appropriate humor” and I have seen my current boss is super good at it!! But when you begin the analyze fun…it is not fun anymore…so I am not going to analyze it too much….but just jot down something…
So what is laughter…J Though CK had an interesting take…and here it is for you to read…
- Laughter is a noisy smile
- Laughter is the cheapest luxury
- Laughter is internal jogging
- Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects
Some easy tips to give funny speeches!
1.User one liners- easy to remember and deliver
- An onion a day keep everybody away
- Trespassers will be eaten….( at a Zoo or at a National park)
- Trespassers will be recruited
- Mera Bharat Mahan: Highly Inflammable
2. Pictures speak a thousand words- use funny pictures wherever appropriate
3.Compare and contrast
- One friend says :My wife had a dream….she dreamt I was a millionaire…..the other friends says….man you are lucky…my wife thinks I am a millionaire when she is awake
4.Power of three : Build up and then blast..basically build up to seem to be saying a particular thing…and then say something diametrically opposite!
“Stand up…speak up…shut up”
- Last night I slept like a baby…every hour I got up and cried
6.Use definitions..they can be funny when user appropriately
- Audience are a set of people who get tired by sitting and doing nothing
- A warm personality …means not too hot!
Some other jokes/funny stories/two liners that were shared in the session….
- My husband and me are the perfect couple…..he likes me very much…I also like me very much!
- Our anniversary …I promise to take my wife to an exotic location where people are all dying to go and I take her to the graveyard!
- A husband and wife are not on talking terms and the husband has to get up to catch a flight early morning so he leaves a note on the fridge which says… “ Wake me up at 5am” the wife get up and writes on the note: “Wake up its 5 am”
- A man and his friend are at a coffee shop and suddenly he looks up and says….of my god what a coincidence….”My wife and my mistress are walking hand in hand together” his friend says…oh my god…what a coincidence…..I was just going to say that!
Here is the trainers blog spot if anyone wants to read more on Humor