Picked up a book….A Better India…A Better world….by NR Narayan Murthy….it is a collection of his speeches he had given in different occasions…..This was a speech he gave at Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial Lecture in New Delhi…just writing a quick synopsis…..for each point….we can debate both ways…but his perspective was quite interesting…you views on what you think of these points are welcome!
1) Indians always put self and family interest before that of the community
It is easier to give bribe to a police officer in India than in western countries. People litter the street but keep their house clean
2) We have an apathy in addressing community matters
We as individuals see a problem but don’t do anything about it..cause it is someone else’s problem…eg Milan Subway gets flooded evey year….but it is the politician’s problem to solve the issue….Westerners are more proactive in solving societal problems
3) Indians have an intellectual arrogance
We boast and gloat over our past..and think we are a superior race
4) There is an overall lack of accountability….
In the west..whatever your position you are accountable for what you do..In India the more important you are, the less answerable you are …our politicians are a good example for this!
5) There is no dignity of labor
We look down on people doing menial jobs…whereas unlike in the west even the most menial job is looked at as important
6) Indians become intimate without becoming friendly:
Westerner can be friendly but yet not be intimate…..they will not ask you personal questions…..and yet be friendly… Ask for favors from strangers without hesitation
7) Let personal relations interfere with professional dealings
Relations are given higher priority that merit in our country..
8) We are the most thin skinned society in the world…get offended by nothing
We see insults where none are meant….
9) Punctuality is not a virtue
Indian standard time…we all follow that don’t we…
10) Independent thinking is normally not encouraged; Y
You are not suppose to think differently from your elders and bosses..This is by and large true…..things are changing slowly…
11) Contractual agreements are often dishonored
Highest number for students default on their loan contracts…time contract for customer are not met…